I recently was reflecting over my life between the ages of 14 and 17, so in other words when I was in high school. As much as I wish I could have saved myself from a lot of pain and heartache, I wouldn’t change my experience for anything because those hard moments have shaped me to the person I am today, all to the glory of God. However, here are 5 things that I wish I knew and what I would tell myself when I was in high school….
1) The social aspect of being a teenager will be hard because all you want people to do is accept you but they don’t. It’s not your fault, neither is it theirs because you are all learning, growing and figuring out who you are. Don’t be hard on others or yourself.
2) You won’t have the highest marks, but you’re much smarter than you give yourself credit for. Yes, you are a perfectionist and extremely hard on yourself, but give yourself room to relax. Your high school marks do not define who you are as a person, at all.
3) Don’t worry, you’ll have friends who respect, appreciate and love you for who you are. It’s funny how people will come and go out of your life, but God has a purpose in all of it!
4) You won’t have a boyfriend in high school. It’s not because you think you’re not pretty enough, have an annoying and intense personality, or the fact you think that boys are absolutely terrified of you. God is going to work in you and work in your future husband. He’s preparing you for a guy who will see past everything you aren’t fond of about yourself. Will the wait hurt? Like nothing other, but God has a plan that will be so amazing. Right now (and even at 18) God is your soul mate.
5) Finally, just give yourself room to breathe. Everything you will face will be hard, but God has it all planned out beautifully. Life will feel like a disaster about to happen, but God is there to calm the storms, you just have to let Him.
I hope that you found this encouraging, thank you for reading!